Before you know what kindness really is
you must lose things,
feel the future dissolve in a moment
like salt in a weakened broth.
What you held in your hand,
what you counted and carefully saved,
all this must go so you know
how desolate the landscape can be
between the regions of kindness.
How you ride and ride
thinking the bus will never stop,
the passengers eating maize and chicken
will stare out the window forever.
Before you learn the tender gravity of kindness,
you must travel where the Indian in a white poncho
lies dead by the side of the road.
You must see how this could be you,
how he too was someone
who journeyed through the night
with plans and the simple breath
that kept him alive.
Before you know kindness
as the deepest thing inside,
you must know sorrow
as the other deepest thing.
You must wake up with sorrow.
You must speak to it till your voice
catches the thread of all sorrows
and you see the size of the cloth.
Then it is only kindness
that makes sense anymore,
only kindness that ties your shoes
and sends you out into the day
to mail letters and purchase bread,
only kindness that raises its head
from the crowd of the world to say
it is I you have been looking for,
and then goes with you every where
like a shadow or a friend.
Naomi Shihab Nye (born March 12, 1952) is a poet, songwriter, and novelist. She was born to a Palestinian father and American mother. Although she regards herself as a "wandering poet", she refers to San Antonio as her home.
Monday, 1 October 2007
Translatum Greek Translation Forum
- ► 2009 (25)
- ► 2008 (43)
- Control, A film about Ian Curtis and Joy Division
- The Hunger with David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve
- Astor Piazzolla - Vuelvo al Sur
- Sweet Movie by Dusan Makavejev (music Manos Hadjid...
- Manos Hadjidakis - Dedication
- Dirk Polak by Mecano at Booze bar (Athens) and the...
- What the Bleep Do We Know - on addiction
- Joy Division - Decades (lyrics and video clip)
- King Crimson - Epitaph (lyrics and video clip)
- Joy Division - Atmosphere (lyrics and video clip)
- Joy Division, Heart and Soul (lyrics and video cli...
- Amici miei by Mario Monicelli, train station scene...
- IL Mio Canto Libero by Lucio Battisti
- I Giardini Di Marzo by Lucio Battisti
- Emir Kusturica, Promise Me This (Zavet)
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Nerud...
- Il Postino, Massimo Troisi and the power of the me...
- Branduardi Canta Yeats, Nel giardino dei salici
- Unicornio Azul - Silvio Rodriguez (English Transla...
- Te voglio bene assaie ma tanto bene sai
- Spiegel im Spiegel and Festina Lente by Arvo Pärt
- You Can Have Anything You Want, but You Can't Have...
- And be on thy guard, also, against the assaults of...
- Happy 67th birthday John Lennon!
- Love is nurturing one's own or another's spiritual...
- White shoe scene from The Party starring Peter Sel...
- Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky
- God grant me the serenity to accept the things I c...
- By This River by Brian Eno
- Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring by Kim ...
- Franz Kafka quotations
- Meeting good people (reunion with an old friend)
- Lisa Gerrard - Come Tenderness
- Há uma música do povo by Mariza (poetry by Fernand...
- Scenes from a Marriage by Ingmar Bergman
- Relationships Don't Work - from Everyday Zen: Love...
- "Most of us need the eggs" - Woody Allen, Annie Ha...
- La javanaise by Serge Gainsbourg - Lyrics and vide...
- Le poinçonneur des Lilas by Serge Gainsbourg - Ly...
- Dante's Prayer by Loreena McKennitt - Lyrics and v...
- Favourite love quotations
- L'amour a tous les droits by Ismaël Lo
- Fruit Tree by Nick Drake
- Mecano - Untitled (I know the power of words, I kn...
- Kindness by Naomi Shihab Nye
- Verrà la morte e avrà i tuoi ochi by Cesare Paves...
- ▼ October (46)