Sunday 30 September 2007

Adagio in G minor by Albinoni



This is a piece of enormous personal significance to me. Since I heard it for the first time (I was about 13) and for years thereafter, I would end up in tears every time I heard it. Eventually (I was about 22 I think), I got over it. Since then I bought the piano transcription by Ricordi Editions.

For me it represents the feeling of deep, ever-faithful, romantic love, which holds strong until the moment of death. Perhaps, the absolute and eternal declaration of love. If you like this piece, perhaps you would also like the Piano Trio in E-Flat by Franz Schubert.

And, for some strange reason, it does remind me of Endymion by Keats:
Spite of despondence, of the inhuman dearth
Of noble natures, of the gloomy days,
Of all the unhealthy and o'er-darkn'd ways
Made for our searching: yes, in spite of all,
Some shape of beauty moves away the pall
From our dark spirits

0 comments: