Sunday 30 September 2007

Withnail and I

Tonight at Aavora at 8.50.
A film of strange, poetic decadence. Two thespians on drugs trying (?) to find meaning in a dreary life in London, where rats are as big as dogs and they infest the oven and money is scarce.

Some excellent scenes:

1. When, whilst in Penrith, they were given a live chicken and one of them had to slay it in order for them to eat.
2. When fat uncle Monty made a pass on highly homophobic Marwood in his room late at night [see video below].
3. The Camberwell carrot (a monster-sized joint).
4. The ending scene where Withnail, alone and forlorn, enacts Hamlet (Act 2). (My emphasis on the last sentence). [View full script]

I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth and indeed it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame the earth seems to me a sterile promotory; this most excellent canopy the air, look you, this mighty o'rehanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire; why, it appeareth nothing to me but a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, how like an angel in apprehension, how like a God! The beauty of the world, paragon of animals; and yet to me, what is this quintessence of dusk. Man delights not me, no, nor women neither, nor women neither.


[View full script]
Interesting translations:
That's what you'd say but that wouldn't wash with Geoff
...δεν θα έπιανε με τον Τζεφ.

fucker
γαμιόλη

0 comments: